Recently, I spoke with my friend Brandon Fish, Vice President of Human Resources at Entrata— a tech company that develops software to help companies manage everything related to multi-family housing. Brandon has been a big part of creating and maintaining the incredible corporate culture at his company. Find out why Entrata’s unique core values – mostly inspired by ’80s movies – are the foundation for a positive work environment that cut their turnover in half.
Company Culture Ideas to Improve Retention
As the cheerleader for Entrata’s company culture, Brandon has excellent insight into how culture drives results. Recognition and fun, engaging environments are crucial to create a culture that makes employees want to stick around at Entrata.
Entrata’s five core values are essential to this culture. They are:
- Talk to me Goose.
- Be excellent to each other.
- Business in the front, party in the back.
- Be the real deal.
- Be the Joneses.
Brandon uses the company values to guide him as he creates fun, engaging monthly events. That means hot dog eating contests, movie screenings, employee-focused wellness events, bake sales for charity… to name just a few—and each is directly tied to one of the core values.
Why Focusing on Values Improves Retention
According to Brandon, focusing on Entrata’s core values not only increases engagement with existing employees, it keeps them around longer and improves the recruiting process as well. How?
“I’m a firm believer that it comes down to the culture you create and the values that you have,” Brandon says.
Employees stay engaged in the company because the monthly events are fun and engaging and they keep the company’s values at the forefront of their minds. Not only does this improve job performance, but it creates a community.
Increase Retention by Making it Hard for Employees to Leave
Brandon’s efforts to focus on culture have made it difficult for employees to leave, as he’s seen a vast reduction in the rate of turnover.
One unique aspect of Entrata’s culture is their Leadership Development Program that Brandon created. Here’s how it works:
- In the first quarter of the program, employees participate in online courses that teach them various leadership skills.
- During the second quarter, each participant is required to complete a project within their sphere of influence. The company has seen some remarkable projects that have improved efficiency and saved the company money.
- Participants find a mentor within the company during the third quarter of the program. They meet with these mentors a set amount of times.
- The program is over during the fourth quarter! Those that have finished are honored at a banquet.
Completing the program doesn’t mean employees will receive a raise. Ultimately, it’s a career development course designed to open up opportunities for the company’s employees.
Watch the video to discover more great insight from Brandon, including:
- How to find the balance between a fun work environment and one that maximizes productivity
- The awesome ways Entrata celebrates their Values Week once a year
- The story of one call-center agent who saved a life, and was later given a company Value Award